What is virtualization:
Virtualization 1st apply to the given server, traditionally each server is loaded with single O.S & it host of given 1 set of Application presented below like Application & Operating system.
Virtualization introduces as a abstraction layer between Operating system & Hardware resources such as processor, storage and N/W. Separating the O/S from the server H/W means the multiple type of an instances of the O.S with associated diff Application many reside on a single server H/W Platform.
The Virtualization is based on new Software Component called Hypervisor. The most common type of hypervisor used now a days is EXSI Vmware, KVM, hyperv by Microsoft & Zen by Citrix.
Each Operating system with its set of application is seems as a single VM, The O.S within VM is named Guest O.S.
Virtualization allows Multiple 0/S & App to share common resources (Storage, processor, N/W).
Advantage: H/W Resources of the server are used more efficient when shared by multiple O/S, App & Users
- Before the use of virtualization in Telco for integrating each nodes, it takes much time.
- Now virtualization made it more efficient and seamless integration of services for faster deployment.
Below figure shows approximate time taken for Integrating the nodes before and after Virtualization.
Benefits of Virtualization
- Fast SW and RAN feature upgrade/deployment
- Seamless integration of services and RAN for revenue opportunities and faster service deployment
- Adapt to unexpected – elasticity
- More efficient testing : Sharing a large pool of resources by multiple Application allows more capacity to play more optimal uses of hardware and to sharing workload provide ability to relocate the hardware.
- E2E Service management – orchestration
Virtualization enable this benefit, in practice they are fully achieved with cloud management